Monday, December 21, 2009

"Christians at the Border" by M. Daniel Carroll R., and an update


Soooo....it's been a while sinceI blogged here last...like, five months. It's definitely not because I haven't read any books! Basically, I found out that moving and going to seminary can throw your life for a loop. I did not have much time to blog, so I quickly fell behind. So, to wrap up this year, I am going to attempt to catch up with every book I've read since the last post, not necessarily in order. Don't worry, I'm just going to write a quick blurb about each one. Some I definitely don't remember too well!
I will start with the most recent book I read. I picked up Christians at the Border for a few bucks on the clearence rack. Working with internationals and helping them adjust to life in the United States of course brings up conversations about immigration. Carroll is a Guatamalen-American and an old testament scholar. What I really love about this book is that it causes us to look at the immigration issue (particularly latin american immigration to the US) by viewing all of those involved as people made in the image of God. We definitely lose that very easily in our impassioned views. Carroll gives a brief history of immigration in the US as well as different governmental regulations through the years. Carroll doesn't throw stones, but shows us the opposing arguements and helps us to see that this is a complicated issue. The book also gives a biblical overview of immigration and what the Bible has to say about how we treat sojourners and the foreigners among us, and what they are called to do as well. Well worth picking up if you're affected by this issue....and if you live on this planet, you're affected by the issue.

No comments: