Sunday, May 23, 2010

"What is the Gospel?" by Greg Gilbert


This book is part of the 9Marks Series and is written by first time author Greg Gilbert, who is an associate pastor at Capitol Hill Baptist Church in Washington D.C. This book explains the 3rd mark of Mark Dever's "Nine Marks of a Healthy Church", which is "a biblical understanding of the gospel". This is a small, very accesible book, checking in at a little over 100 pages, but there are few books as important as this one.

Gilbert does a wonderful job unpacking what the good news of the gospel is. The reason this is so important is that if we get the gospel wrong (that is, who God is, who we are, how we are seperated from God, and how we can be reconciled to God) then we are not likely to get much else right. Yet the fact that we get such a wide range of answers to the question "What is the Gospel?" shows that this is precisely what is occuring across the evangelical spectrum. When I first read this, I thought I wish I had about 50 of these. I hope you get the opportunity to read this book, whether you consider yourself a Christian or not. I hope and pray this book finds it's way into many hands that have never heard the true gospel, or have a muddy understanding of what that is.

Watch this excellent preview video from the author, Greg Gilbert.






Greg Gilbert - What Is the Gospel? from 9Marks on Vimeo.

No comments: