Monday, March 3, 2008

"The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien

I couldn't seem to remember if I had actually ever read through the entire Lord of the Rings series or not. So, to put all doubts to rest, I'm forging ahead through the series. As I write about The Hobbit, I'm currently reading "The Two Towers". Since this story was written to stand by itself, I will write about it as such, and treat the following three volumes of The Lord of the Rings together as one.
I can remember watching the old cartoon version of The Hobbit at a very young age. I loved the whole fantasy world that Tolkien created and the most unlikely hero you could think of in Bilbo Baggins.
In comparison to the Lord of the Rings, the story and writing is much simpler. You can tell that this story was actually written for children. However, like Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, this does not mean that it is without depth. It is a whole heck of a lot easier to get through that the LOTR. It's a great story in and of itself, and does a great job of setting the scene for the adventures of Frodo.
It's reported that Peter Jackson and company will begin filming on The Hobbit. After how awesome his Lord of the Rings movies were, it will be interesting to see how he does with a story that pales in comparison (saving the world vs. defeating a dragon).
I'm not way into the sci-fi or fantasy genre, but these books are worthy classics which will span the generations.

No comments: