Friday, June 20, 2008

"The Irresistible Revolution" by Shaine Claiborne


I think part of the reason I've stalled so much in my reviews is I knew this would be a very difficult book to write about. I'm not even sure where to begin. The Irresistible Revolution is mostly Claiborne inviting us in his life as an ordinary radical. I've got to give him credit in that he is not one to preach one thing and then live a different way. He and his friends have started a simple-living community who seeks to love God and each other better and to alleviate the suffering around them. Being profoundly influenced by Tony Compolo, his time spent in India working with Mother Teresa and her ministry, and a trip to Iraq, Claiborne is definitely not one to stay inside of his comfort zone.

Claiborne says he is not a hippie. I'm sorry Shane, you are a hippie. You make your own clothes, have dredlocks, protest on a regular basis, get into the Republican National Convention and yell while Bush is speaking and get kicked out. You should wear the label with pride!

There are many good things I can say about this book. Claiborne's indictments of the modern church are much needed. His heart for the poor covers the pages. His life will certainly challenge anyone to get out of their safe Christian bubble and love on people who are broken and hungry for love...even when they don't look or speak or smell like we do.

However, along with the amens I found myself saying, there were many things that left me frustrated and not in a good way. One is his saying that a theological education is basically a waste of time...that we would learn much more about God by spending our time with homeless people than we would in a seminary. I think this is a flawed and dangerous outlook. Theology is the study of God and who God has revealed Himself to be through His word. A good study in Theology will make you more in love with God because you learn who He is. This in turn serves as the springboard for missions and social justice. I think of William Wilberforce, the great social reformer who focused his life on the ending of the slave trade in Britain. But the root of all of his action were the glorious doctrines of Christ. He would say that we can't severe the root of doctrine for the fruits of good deeds.

But what I find most disturbing is that it is never clear what Shane Claiborne believes the gospel is. He says things about the gospel, says things like "we got together and preached the gospel", but it is a very hazy picture Claiborne paints. His focus is alleviating poverty and helping those in need (and also there seems to be some tie-in with blowing bubbles, sidewalk-chalk, and dancing...which I never really understood). I believe these are very Biblical concepts (save for the bubbles and chalk), but they are not the gospel. In other moments his interpretations of scripture and culture left me shaking my head. Claiborne also advocates for a kind of civil disobedience. Oftentimes Claiborne breaks the law to help others, seemingly without trying to come up with other solutions that honor the laws that have been given and help others as well. Often his views on things are simplistic (war is always wrong because it kills people) without looking at everything that is involved. Unfortunately not everything is black and white. Decisions would be a lot easier if they were.

I often came across some questionable theology. There is one part Claiborne describes, I think it was during his time in Calcutta, where he describes God as in the poor he is helping, in the tea, in the bread they eat... and how God was in it whenever someone would whisper namaste to him. Namaste is used commonly by hindus, sikhs, buddhists, and others, and to many has a spiritual meaning of recognizing the common divinity within the other person. It's difficult to see if Claiborne actually believes that God is actually in these people and things. It is easier to see when we look at the teachings of Tony Campolo, who Claiborne has been taught under and greatly influenced. Campolo believes that Christ is mystically incarnate in everyone, regardless of whether they have been redeemed or not. I know it is unfair to transfer one person's doctrines to another, but I can only do so because the rhetoric and the relationship gives this some credence.

I could go on. So while there is much to recommend here, I can't recommend it wholeheartedly. If you're searching for a manifesto of someone with a radical heart for the "least of these" while championing genuine orthodoxy, I suggest looking elsewhere.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

It's been awhile since I've read this, but I think I ended up liking it more than you did :). I can't remember being so critical of it-- maybe I was just very ready for what he had to say (looking for something very different than what I had been reading in other books).

I think I went in assuming that by "gospel", he meant the message of Jesus. But I suppose I don't know for sure if that's what he meant. I really liked his talk at Catalyst and thought he definitely had good theology. I guess I also trust his background-- him going to Eastern for seminary as well as doing is internship at Willow.

I think it'd be an interesting one to reread and discuss with a group of people in person-- maybe with him there too, lol.

thanks for this post!

Jessica said...

aw man.... i just wrote this nice long comment and then it wouldn't go through.

it was something like this:
great review popey, and well written.

I have never read the book, and am not planning on reading it any time soon, mostly because I think that I'd have to read it more than once in order to give it a fair reading, and I don't have the time or desire to do that.

Furthermore, though I fully believe that the Lord has compassion for the oppressed and marginalized, and I intend to spend my life among them sharing Christ, I get a little bit wary of "trendy" topics in the world and evangelicalism, and this one ranks right up there.

But, hey... that's probably me just being cynical :)

Can't wait to have you at Southern, friend!

Tiffany said...

I think it's a fair critique that this is "trendy" in the way that many young people are jumping on board with this.

I guess I would hope that we would be able to examine things like this, and really ask God- is this something that is just trendy, or is this the working of the Holy Spirit? I think that if Scripture supports this movement, then we can be open to it being the Holy Spirit shaking up this generation to love those who are hurting in various ways.

I know that Piper talked about some of this in his book, Don't Waste Your Life. I would highly suggest the book Rich Christians in An Age of Hunger as well.

Anyway, yeah, my question is, how do we distinguish between something merely trendy and a working of the Holy Spirit?