Sunday, June 29, 2008

"Seven Sayings of the Saviour on the Cross" by A.W. Pink


This was the first book I've read of Pink's, who was an English evangelist in the early 1900's. As the title suggests, Pink gives a chapter to each of the seven sayings that Jesus said on the cross. If you need a little refresher, they are as follows:

1. "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do" - Luke 23:34 (The Word of Forgiveness
2. "Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise." - Luke 23:42-43 (The Word of Salvation)
3. "Woman, behold thy son!" "Behold thy mother!" - John 19:25-26 (The Word of Affection)
4. "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" - Matthew 27:46 (The Word of Anguish)
5. "I thirst" - John 19:28 (The Word of Suffering)
6. "It is finished." - John 19:30 (The Word of Victory)
7. "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit" - Luke 23:46 (The Word of Contentment)

Though these are some of the most well known sayings in the Bible, there is a seemingly endless depth of gold that can be mined here. I can see why this book is considered a Christian classic. Pink gets so much meat out of these sayings. There were several instances my eyes welled up with tears. Thoroughly Biblical and gospel-exalting, Pink writes in a way that is both theologically deep, incredibly applicable, and immensely encouraging. It's also very readable and easy to understand, even if you are a new Christian. This book will no doubt help you grow more in love with your Savior and more focused on the work of the cross. I know that it will be a work I'll read over again and will get new things out of every time.

1 comment:

jenny said...

Just wanted to say I love you. :)

We need some MRT today too.