
When one of my coworkers heard about the work I was doing with the Burmese refugees, she leant me this biography of Adoniram Judson. I am indebted to her, as I was wanting to read a biography on Judson and they aren't normally found at your local library. I saw that this book was the one Piper drew primarily from when he did his biographical sermon on Judson. It seemed that this is a pretty definitive biography on the life of this great man. Checking in at over 500 pages, I knew this would likely be a labor to get through. Thankfully, the book is written at a very readable level.
Adoniram Judson is credited as being the first international missionary from North America. He brought the gospel to the land of Burma, and translated the Bible in their language. Even today, Burmese Christians read the Adoniram Judson translation of the Bible. The far reaching effects of this man's life are hard to imagine.
There are so many fascinating aspects of Judson's life, from his conversion which shows so strongly the providence of God, to the three amazing women God put in his life, his relations with the Burmese officials, his converts, and his imprisonment. God sustained him through so many trials that would seem impossible to endure. Reading about the work that God did through those times of absolute sorrow has greatly encouraged me.
I wholeheartedly recommend this biography of a man who did not waste his life. His example and faith stir us on as the mission is just as dire today as it was then.
1 comment:
at your recommendation i added this book to my amazon wishlist, and I got it this morning for christmas!! :)
Post a Comment